For sixty pounds of sausage meat, use eleven heaping teaspoonfuls of salt, six of black pepper, four of allspice (if liked), three of ginger, and three of dried ground sage; weigh the meat and proportion the above amounts.
The seasoning should be ground and mixed before putting with the meat, but it is well to grind it with the meat, scattering it through the amount. A few pods of red pepper, seeds and all, ground in with the meat is quite an improvement. The meat should be carefully trimmed, saving all tags and scraps and ends for the sausage, with a fair share of fat mixed with the lean. No water should be put with the meat, as it will keep better without the moisture of water.
Incoming search terms:
- old fashioned sausage seasoning
- Old Fashioned Sausage Seasoning Recipe
- Old Timey Breakfast Sausage Recipes
- breakfast sausage seasoning recipe
- old fashion pork sausage seasoning homemade